Since 1946, we have worked with the community to conserve natural resources through local projects, partnerships, research, and education.
Teton Conservation District is a local government entity whose mission is to work with the community in the conservation of natural resources for the health and benefit of people and the environment.
Teton Conservation District envisions a forward-looking community practicing natural resource stewardship.
how we are governed
Teton Conservation District is led by a locally elected Board of Supervisors. The five members manage the fiscal and legal aspects of the District, are responsible for staffing, and determine the District’s goals, mission and policies.
Teton Conservation District is governed, as all conservation districts in the state are, by Wyoming state statute. The specific governance is prescribed in within the Wyoming Conservation Districts Law which is contained in Title 11, Chapter 16 of Wyoming State Statutes.
the Dust Bowl and the soil conservation act
During the 1930s, much of the United States was ravaged by dust storms as a result of years of unsustainable agricultural practices exacerbated by severe drought. As a response, Congress passed the Soil Conservation Act of 1935 which created the Soil Conservation Service administered by the United States Department of Agriculture. By 1937, however, it was clear that local organizations were necessary to encourage community support and participation. A model Soil Conservation District Law was developed and sent to each state governor, along with a letter from President Franklin D. Roosevelt urging them to empower local farmers and ranchers to create districts to conserve soil and water resources.
Conservation districts in wyoming
Wyoming passed the Soil Conservation Act in 1941, leading to the formation of local conservation districts across the state that same year. Today, there are 34 conservation districts across the state, each operating within defined borders and governed by a board of five locally elected individuals living within the boundaries of their respective district. The duty of the Board is to ensure the conservation and protection of soil, water and natural resources within their District, as well as to stabilize local economies and resolve land use related conflicts.
Teton conservation district
The Teton Conservation District was established on March 15, 1946 at the request of the citizens of Teton County. Initially created as two separate districts - the Teton Soil Conservation District and the Jackson Hole Soil Conservation District- by 1967 the latter had been dissolved. In 1974, the boundaries of the Teton Conservation District were expanded to include both Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. The District exists today to work with the community to develop and implement programs to protect and conserve soil, water, farmland, rangeland, woodland, wildlife and renewable resources.