Since 1946, we have provided locally led leadership to encourage, promote, and inform through education, the conservation of natural resources.
The mission of the Teton Conservation District is to promote the conservation and stewardship of the natural resources throughout the Conservation District area. Through community education, collaborative projects, strategic partnerships, and outreach, TCD works to provide for "the conservation of soil and water resources, assist in watershed protection, protect public lands, preserve tax base and to protect and promote the health, safety and general welfare of the people."
the Dust Bowl and the soil conservation act
During the 1930s, much of the United States was ravaged by dust storms as a result of years of unsustainable agricultural practices exacerbated by severe drought. As a response, Congress passed the Soil Conservation Act of 1935 which created the Soil Conservation Service administered by the United States Department of Agriculture. By 1937, however, it was clear that local organizations were necessary to encourage community support and participation. A model Soil Conservation District Law was developed and sent to each state governor, along with a letter from President Franklin D. Roosevelt urging them to empower local farmers and ranchers to create districts to conserve soil and water resources.
Conservation districts in wyoming
Wyoming passed the Soil Conservation Act in 1941, leading to the formation of local conservation districts across the state that same year. Today, there are 34 conservation districts across the state, each operating within defined borders and governed by a board of five locally elected individuals living within the boundaries of their respective district. The duty of the Board is to ensure the conservation and protection of soil, water and natural resources within their District, as well as to stabilize local economies and resolve land use related conflicts.
Teton conservation district
The Teton Conservation District was established on March 15, 1946 at the request of the citizens of Teton County. Initially created as two separate districts - the Teton Soil Conservation District and the Jackson Hole Soil Conservation District- by 1967 the latter had been dissolved. In 1974, the boundaries of the Teton Conservation District were expanded to include both Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. The District exists today to work with the community to develop and implement programs to protect and conserve the soil, water prime & unique farmland, range land, woodland, wildlife and renewable resources.
how we are governed
The Teton Conservation District is governed, as all conservation districts in the state are, by Wyoming state statute. The specific governance is prescribed in within the Wyoming Conservation Districts Law which is contained in Title 11, Chapter 16 of Wyoming State Statutes.