JH Composting Overview
- County wide program in partnership with Teton County (Engineering Department) and the contractor Terra Firma Organics.
- Processed approximately 8,500 tons in 2007 at the County Transfer Station which is approaching 1/3 of the County waste stream being diverted.
- Raw waste accepted includes green trees, limbs, and stumps; dimensional wood waste (small nails & fasteners ok – are machine separated); stock manure, gypsum (sheetrock); lawn trimmings & leaf litter.
- A new pilot program to compost food waste has been initiated in conjunction with 1% for the Tetons, the Western Wyoming Resource Conservation & Development Council, the Four Seasons, Whole Foods Grocer, Blue Lion Restaurant, Journeys School, Mangy Moose, and Cascade. It is estimated that on a county wide basis that approximately 4,000 tons annually of food waste may be diverted from the Teton County waste stream into beneficial compost products.
- Products available from Terra Firma Organics include true finished high quality compost including custom spec compost, wood chip hog fuel, colored (EPA food grade colorant) landscape mulches, gypsum, custom reclamation amendments, erosion control best management practice (BMP) compost and mulch products, and other specialty products.
- Please contact Terra Firma Organics at 307-732-0043 regarding organic waste diversion and access to their finished product sales.
- Current efforts include TCD sponsorship of an agency compost process site in the Buffalo Valley through a USFS Special Use Permit, contracts with Jorgensen Engineering and Tri-Hydro, Inc. environmental consultants to design 3 large compost operation pads, improved access, stormwater designs, and electric and water utility improvements at the County transfer station.
© Copyright 2007-2013, Teton Conservation District. All Rights Reserved.